Processing and materials characterization Lab PROCAMAT
The Advanced Materials Processing and Characterization Laboratory (PROCAMAT) has a warehouse of about 2,000 m2, with the following capacities:
- Composite Materials Processing Unit: Processing of composite materials outside the autoclave, such as manufacturing of laminates by hot plate press and resin transfer molding (RTM), processing of composite material profiles by pultrusion and 3D printing of composite materials.
- Metal Alloy Processing Unit: Processing of metal alloys by vacuum induction melting and casting system and directional solidification, physical simulation of a large number of thermo-mechanical processes such as casting, welding, extrusion, rolling, forging, etc., processing of metal powders by atomization and SLM equipment for metal printing.
- Characterization Unit (macro): Mechanical characterization by universal electromechanical and servo-hydraulic machines (from 2kN to 250kN) and characterization of defects and internal structure through ultrasounds (CScan).
- Sample Preparation Unit: Equipment for sample preparation for further examination using analysis techniques and microstructural characterization (microscopy, X-ray diffraction, tomography, etc.).
The specific tasks that will be carried out using the equipment of this laboratory are detailed below.
- To facilitate the processing by casting of new alloys, lab scale atomization tests and additive manufacturing.
- Additive manufacturing techniques by SLM. This laboratory will also support the mechanical characterization and sample preparation for the microstructural characterization.
- Evaluation of composite structures made by Fused Filament Fabrication (FFF).
- Mechanical characterization capabilities.
- Selected online monitoring solutions will be implemented and validated in the additive manufacturing machine.